Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vodka Gummy Cherries

Cherry gummies is a staple of my childhood. Going to the store and getting a bunch of them as for 5 cents, was something that finished off many school days. I am not going to explain what they taste like because if you don't know... You're a fool.
Here they are laid out, almost Mario Bros 2 style. If you collect enough of them, you get a star. Well I am ready to be a star.

But now it is time for them to be infused.
Bam. Just added the vodka, and now we wait.
13 hours later, and I think I may have made a mistake here.
After I pulled it out of the dish and it's become one giant cherry flavoured jello shot. It could be solved, a bit, by adding more vodka, but at the same time you'll run into the problem of the flavour running out of the candy and infusing the vodka, or turning the gummies into soup. It's a careful balance.
The gummies taste pretty good, even though it looks more like a brown mess. It's just not the best way for them to turn out. I will strongly recommend that you infuse the gummies when they are moist, rather than dried out, though that sounds a little counter intuitive. This should allow an exchange of the fluid on the inside with the vodka, like a balancing act via osmosis. If there is no moisture on the inside it will put out the gelatin instead. This is an acceptable change from infusing gummy bears or gummy worms.

Vodka Gummy Cherries: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it would work better with a jar versus a dish. Say for instance one of those little jars that you seal preserves in. I infused vodka with oranges and blackberries using a jar like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is possible, but I am weary to believe that that the container was at fault. I strongly believe it was because the gummies were a little dried out. The other gummies I have done in plastic, such as the Swedish berries, have turned out fine, though they were not dried out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...